Monday, July 16, 2018

Lesson 4: Submitting names for the temple


Lesson 4: Submitting names for the temple
Report:
Share with the group your successes and challenges in finding records for your ancestor this week.
1. Make goals
Read:
“Centuries ago, the prophet Malachi said that in a coming day, God would send Elijah to “turn the heart of the fathers to the children, and the heart of the children to their fathers” (Malachi 4:6)…
… I bear testimony that Elijah did come. The hearts of the children—of you and me—have turned to our fathers, our ancestors. The affection you feel for your ancestors is part of the fulfillment of that prophecy.” Eyring April 2017 Gathering the Family of God
Discuss:
How has Malachi’s prophecy had an impact on your life?
Watch:
Discuss:
What are the blessings Elder Andersen promises for those who complete this challenge?
Commit:
Commit to take Elder Andersen’s temple challenge or come up with a personal goal with the challenge in mind.
2. Find family history information.
Read:
Some members of the Church have many names on their tree waiting to be submitted for temple ordinances. For others it seems like all of their ancestors’ temple work has already been done. Finding a family name to take to the temple can seem impossible, but it usually isn’t.
As you do family history research on the ancestors already in your tree you will very likely find new aunts and uncles and cousins to add to your tree, and those cousins may also have descendants who need to have temple work performed.
Activity:
Using your smartphone, tablet, or computer look for a record about a sibling of one of your ancestors. See if you can find a spouse or child for the sibling.
Read:
Because there are many people editing information on Family Search, some of your ancestors may have duplicate pages. When you find a duplicate for one of your ancestors, take the time to decide if the pages really represent the same person. You may have to do some more research in order to make an informed choice. Ask for help when necessary.
Discuss:
Why is it important to look for duplicates on Family Search?
Read:
“Just a few weeks ago, I was working on my family history with a consultant by my side and another helper on the phone. On the computer screen before me was a problem beyond my mortal power to solve. I saw two names, sent to me by the wonders of technology, of people who might be waiting for a temple ordinance. But the trouble was that the names were different, but there was a reason to believe they might be the same person. My task was to determine what was true.
I asked my consultants to tell me. They said, “No, you must choose.” And they were completely sure I would discover the truth. The computer, with all its power and information, had left me the blessing of staring at those names on a screen, evaluating the available information, seeking other research, praying silently, and discovering what was true. As I prayed, I knew with surety what to do—just as I have in other situations when I needed to rely on heaven’s help to solve a problem.” Eyring April 2017 Gathering the Family of God
Discuss:
How can you use the Spirit to guide you in your family history research?
3. Edit your tree
Watch:
Activity:
Look for temple opportunities on your family tree and submit names for temple ordinances if possible. Read the Church policy on submitting names before you do so.
Commit:
Before you submit names, read the Church policy. Then attend the temple for one of your own ancestors, if possible.
Homework:
Read Church policy on submitting names for the temple
Attend the temple for one of your own ancestors, if possible


No comments:

Post a Comment